Mesh Mashup (selection and refinement) Assignment

 Object: Literal "running" Shoes

Below are the original models from which I created my mashup concept, a pair of Nike Air Jordans and a hybrid creature of Kirby (the Nintendo character) and human legs.



During the in class critique, I received substantial critique on my work. Three of my coursemates emphasised that I should have added more background features to my work in order to create a full scene and give more complexity to the object. While a valid point, I chose not to adhere to this and instead focused on the object itself because I feel as though it is complete on its own. 'Busy' does not always equate to 'better'. Others pointed out how the 'running shoes' mashup in particular was their favourite in terms of its humour as well as seamless visual appearance. I ended up choosing to refine this mashup for my asssignment. I used the flat tool, smooth tool, symmetry, and colour tools, amongst others, to create the final look. 






My creation relates to remix culture because I combined very different (albeit loosely related) existing objects in order to create a new, strange one, thus distorting all previous meanings of the separate individual objects. now the viewer is forced to deduce a new meaning of the combination in front of them. We live in a fast paced post-digital world where knowledge, content, and media  is continuously edited, re-edited, built upon, modernised, and sometimes completely transformed. This 'read/write' culture has been strongly facilitated by the Internet, the same context under which my own work was made possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MESH MASHUP: HD RENDERS ASSIGNMENT WITH RHINO